Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Great Backyard Bird Count

I always like to count our cabin birds during the Great Backyard Birdcount. I'm always hoping for something rare or new-to-me to show up in the yard, and I was not disappointed!

Here is the species list for our cabin, this year:

Mourning Dove 8
Red-bellied Woodpecker 2
Downy Woodpecker 2
Hairy Woodpecker 2
Blue Jay 1
Black-capped Chickadee 3
Tufted Titmouse 2
White-breasted Nuthatch 4
White-winged Crossbill 1
Pine Siskin 1
American Goldfinch 87

The White-winged Crossbill was a new-to-me yard bird this year. In fact, I had the camera in my hand, he showed up and I flung the camera in the air and fumbled it because I was so surprised. Hence, the photo didn't come out well. I am checking with my pals at Northern Michigan Birding to confirm my White-winged Crossbill. At first, I thought that he was a Pine Grossbeak, but then I noticed the hooked bill. Normally, I have some of the highest numbers in the State of Michigan for American Goldfinch, but I don't think that I did this year. However, if they were doing the count today - I counted nearly 200 American Goldfinch in my yard this morning, before coming home.

Here are some pics...

Goldfinch 'dripping' from the trees waiting to get to the feeders.

There are 17 American Goldfinch on the ground by this feeder. I have 3 different feeders that the Goldfinch can get on. Plus, I have a woodpecker seed feeder, but the Goldfinch can't get on it.

Mr. and Mrs. Hairy Woodpecker, involved in a little pre-season mating ritual. They dance around the trees with each other and stick their necks out straight. It's amusing to watch.

Mrs. Hairy on the no-no feeder. All the birds that can 'cling' love this feeder. I love it because the squirrels can't destroy it.

And here he is, the White-winged Crossbill. He was only in the yard for a few seconds.

6 comments:

George said...

I thought the picture of your white-winged crossbill was pretty good, especially since he didn't stick around very long. Good job on all your pictures.

Shelley said...

I'm very envious of your white winged cross bill! And you only had one siskin? Mine are driving me crazy. I will be driving them down to your cabin. LOL!

Cedar ... said...

I haven't seen a crossbill here since Jan. of 1998! Great pics! Nice variety of birds!

Jen said...

200!!! I dont' know if I could handle that many feathers flying.
I've had about 20 at a time and that is most of them - it's really neat to see the different ones feeding together.

Jessica said...

Wow... I'm envious of your white winged crossbill. There have been reports of them in our area of Southwest Michigan this winter and I'm still hoping to see one but so far no luck.

Willoughby said...

I just stumbled onto your blog through another blog. I love your pictures! We used to have a cottage in Gladwin so I'm very familiar with Harrison. Small world!