Friday, March 13, 2009

Manatees

We're back from vacation, we had a WONDERFUL time. Now I need to go catch up on my favorite blogs and get my blog list back up. I don't know how it disappeared. I'll be posting pics all week from our vacation. Today is dedicated to the Manatees.

The area where my Mom lives in winter is known as the nature coast and is well known for their Manatee population, both in the wild and in captivity (in kind of a hospital for manatees). Bill and I were going to swim with these gentle giants, but we simply ran out of time on vacation! Too much to do, so little time.

Here are some pics of manatees at the Homosassa State Wildlife Park just down the road from my Mom's. They are all females, some have young, and they all have been injured, mostly from boats. They eat romaine lettuce, lucky gals!

I would recommend Homosassa State Wildlife Park to anyone visiting Florida. It only cost Bill and I approx. $8 each to get in.











5 comments:

Donna McNicol said...

I love Homosassa State Wildlife Park, agree about everyone visiting it if they can. Great pics!

Dian said...

I was just at Disney World, saw a mother write "If lost call and included her cell phone number", she wrote this on her childs arm and told him he had a tatoo, how cleaver, the child had a smile on his face.

Cedar ... said...

Wow,... great shots,.. and they are gentle enough to swim with them. They look huge!

Shelley said...

Hi Denise - I'm so glad you're back! Loved seeing the Manatee photos. I would've loved to have gone swiiming with them.(Did you say hi to mom for me - LOL!!!)
It's getting warmer - Greg and I are looking forward to meeting Bill soon hopefully! (And your mom!!) P.S. I need your home address - I have something I want to send to you.

Denise said...

Donna, so you know where we are coming from.

Mom - We'll get to that....

Cedar - they are gentle giants, easy to swim with....

Shelley - we can't WAIT for warm weather.!