Friday, October 31, 2008

Log Cabin Woman Cooks: Halloween Chili Contest

UPDATE: I WON 3RD PLACE! I honestly didn't expect to even place. I won a gas card. There were far too many entries to even taste. Everything that I tasted was absolutely fantastic.

I'm entering a chili contest today, and of course, I made it for dinner on Wednesday evening as a test run with lots of leftovers to take to the cabin. I'm not expecting to win the contest, but I'll let you know how I did. This is a recipe that is easy to modify for your tastes and is kid friendly. You can halve this recipe to fit into a 3qt. Crock-pot. The original recipe was from Taste of Home, but I've changed it so much, the original recipe is unrecognizeable. This is a fantastic recipe for the cabin, it can be put together in the morning and be ready for a hot dinner after a day of fishing. This is great to eat while putting together a puzzle.

Deluxe Pizza Chili with extra Pepperoni

1 lb. of ground beef
1 lb. of italian sausage (sweet or hot)
2-16oz. cans of kidney beans, drained
2-15oz. cans of pizza sauce
2-14 1/2 oz. cans of Italian stewed tomatoes
2-8oz. cans of tomato sauce
3 cups of water
1-16oz. stick of pepperoni, sliced thickly
1 t. Italian seasoning
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green pepper

Brown ground beef and Italian sausage in a large pan, drain. Put drained beef/Italian sausage into 6qt. Crock-pot with remaining ingredients. Cook on low for 3 hours. Serve with shredded mozzarella, parmesan cheese and garlic bread. Here are a few other things that can be added to your taste, fresh mushrooms, garlic, black or green olives.

3 comments:

Shelley said...

yummy - chili is perfect for this time of year!

Shelley said...

Denise - congrats on 3rd place!!!

Denise said...

Thanks Shelley!