Beef Stew (stovetop) - I double this recipe in an 8qt. stock pot.
2 T. all-purpose flour
1 lb. beef stew meat
2 T. cooking oil
3 1/2 C. vegetable juice cocktail
2 t. beef bouillon granules (I use 2 t. beef soup base)
1/2 C. chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 t. dried basil, crushed
1/2 t. dried thyme, crushed
2 1/4 C. potatoes, cut-up (I leave the skins on)
2 C. sliced carrots
1 C. sliced celery
Here is where I have to change the directions to be transported 'up north' for cooking.
Put the beef stew meat in a container that can be sealed, put flour into a small plastic bag/seal and put on top of the stew meat. Seal these 2 items together.
In another container, combine onion, garlic, bouillon granules, basil and thyme. Seal this container.
In another container, combine the sliced carrots and celery, add water to cover. Seal this container.
Put these containers in a large paper bag with a large jug of vegetable juice concentrate and drop the instructions in the paper bag. Fold this bag up and put into the fridge. The pictures above make a lot more sense.
Here are the cooking instructions that I give to Bill for this recipe.
- Add the flour to the stew meat, seal container and shake.
- Heat 2T. of cooking oil in the 8 qt. stock pot. Add a few pieces of flour coated meat to the stock pot, brown on all sides, remove the meat to a bowl.
- After all meat is browned, return all of the meat to the stock pot.
- Add 3 1/2 C. of the vegetable juice cocktail.
- Add the container with the onion, garlic, bouillon granules, basil and thyme
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Drain the water from the carrot, celery and potato containers and add the drained vegetables to the stock pot.
- Cover and simmer for 30 more minutes.
- Serve in bowls with bread and butter.